Knabe partnered with another piano builder, William Henry Gaehle in 1837, forming Knabe & Gaehle.
When Gaehle passed away in 1855, Knabe gained control of the firm, changing the name to William Knabe & Co.
was a piano manufacturing company in Baltimore, Maryland from the middle of the nineteenth century through the beginning of the 20th century, and continued as a division of Aeolian-American at East Rochester, New York until 1982.
In 1843 they opened warerooms at the corner of Eutaw street and Cowpen alley, and four years later removed their warerooms to 9 Eutaw street, opposite the Eutaw house, selling pianos priced between 0 and 0.
Knabe & Gaehle won first premiums for square pianos from the Maryland Institute for the Promotion of Mechanic Arts in 1848, 18, as well as for grand pianos in 1849.
This information can help guide you in making important decisions. (SMC)1329 Gateway Drive Gallatin, Tennessee 37066615-206-0077Made by: Samick Musical Instrument Mfg. Ltd., Inchon, South Korea;and Bogor, West Java, Indonesia William Knabe, born in Kreuzberg, Germany moved to Baltimore, Maryland in 1833 after learning his craft as a cabinet and piano maker.
After working for another piano builder, he started his own business in 1835 buying and selling, tuning and repairing second-hand pianos.